Thursday, January 28, 2010

First TM speech (CC# 1) - Who am I?

A couple weeks ago, when I was chatting with my friend, my suddenly threw me a question, "Do you know who you are?"

"Me? Of course I know! I’m Kah Moey!"

Then, he said, "No no, I don’t mean such a simple question. What I mean is that, do you know what do you want to be? Do you know what is your interest? What is the future life that you would like to have? And what is your strength that can lead you to achieve you dreams?"
 
"Huh?", I was stunt there, "Who am I then? What is my strength? And what is my future?"

I went back and thought about it… Do I have a dream? Yes! I have, I wan to be a teacher! This is my dream. This is my dream job since I was small. I was influenced by my father who was a teacher before. I was attracted by his teaching skills, his teaching style, when I first saw him teaching in the school. I would like to share my knowledge to other people, and I would like to discover how people learn. Different people learn different ways.

However, after my Form 5, my father discouraged me to be a primary school teacher (because of the low income). Therefore, I continued to pursue my study in Computer Science. After the study in Computer Science, I involved myself in the IT area, from a website developer, to a programmer, to an application support, and now, I’m a business analyst.

My role as a business analyst, I am like a communicator among the business partners and the programmers. I gather the business requirements from the business partners, write the System Requirement Specification (SRS), and communicate with the programmers, explain to them what are the logics for the system.

Although I’m in the IT area, but I still haven’t given up my dream to be a teacher. I wish to teach small kids. Children are the future of the world. We must take the chance to build up their characteristics, build up their good virtues so that they can devote themselves to the world, to the society.

I wish to teach the kids thru the art work. Thru the art work that is done by them, they will be able to learn the philosophies and theories of the life. So, I go and learn up all the art work. I learn painting, I learn paper craft, I learn handicrafts, I learn clay sculpturing, and I even go and learn up the music instrument.

But then, after few years of working life (I have been working for 4 years), I discovered that, the income of a teacher that teaching small kids, are not enough for me to cover my car loan and home loan. Thus, I decided to extend my dream to be lecturer, instead of a teacher.

in order for me to be a good lecturer, I must have good presentation skill, good communication skill, good speak skill. That is why, right now, I’m standing here, giving my very first speech to my fellow Toastmasters. I hope that, thru these meetings, I will be able to train up my skills, to be a good lecturers.

I hope that, within 5 year time, I will be able to achieve my dream, to be a lecturer!! ^^

No comments: