Thursday, January 19, 2012

21DHL–Day 3: Calculate Your Daily Energy Expenditure

Coming to Day 3’s task of 21DHL: Calculate your daily energy expenditure

Today, I spent 3 hours to complete this task… Not much actually, just that I wanted to go through what is talking about in the calculation process.

We are able to calculate the total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) by using the following formula:

TDEE = Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) + Calories burned from activities

BMR means the calories burned when a person do absolutely nothing. For BMR calculation, it depends on 4 variables: gender, weight, height, age. I’m using weight and height in metric unit, so the formulas are as below:

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

After the BMR is calculated, take the BMR to multiply with a number according to Harris Benedict Equation to obtain the minimum energy needed for the body. In my case, my BMR calculated is 1537.
Then, I’m a lazy person, do exercise only once a week, so I take my BMR multiply with 1.375 ––> 1537 x 1.375 = 2113.38 calories

That means, If I were not do anything in one whole day, I’m burning 1537 calories. Whereas if I were to do exercise, then I will be burning 2113.38 calories.

Also, another task, I was requested to calculate the difference of my ideal weight and current weight, and see how much of weight that I should reduce. Now, I go for my targeted weight first because I’m having a bet with my friends to see if I can reduce 10 kg before 10 April.

Now I have reduced 2 kg, thus I still have 8 kg to go. 8 kg = 2.2 x 8 = 17.6 lb.

To lose 1 lb, I will need to reduce 3500 calories; 17.6 lb will require to reduce 3500 x 17.6 = 61600 calories.
Assume that I wish to reduce 61600 in 80 days, meaning that everyday I will need to reduce around 770 calories.

Meaning, if my TDEE is 2113.38 calories, then I should intake only 1343.38 calories, or if I intake more calories, then I will need to do more exercise to reduce the calories. 困惑What a hard job… But I will still do my best, but I know, if I would to reduce that much of calories, it is not healthy. Again, I will do my best in a healthy way.

Anyway, I have updated the google docs: 21DHL_Calories
Added 2 worksheets:

  • TDEE for the calculation of Day 3's tasks
  • My daily food record - I hope that I won't lose track for this worksheet...

I will keep it updated from time to time. 微笑

No comments: